An Ordinance regulating temporary parking after a snowfall so that vehicles must be parked on one side of the street as directed by Town personnel and further providing the authority to close streets temporarily for emergencies or construction.
WHEREAS, Article V, Section 502 (45) of the Charter of the Town of Landover Hills grants to the Mayor and Council the power to remove all nuisances and obstructions from streets, lanes and alleys of the Town; and
WHEREAS, Article V, Section 502 (61) of the Charter of the Town of Landover Hills grants to the Mayor and Council the power to regulate vehicles; and
WHEREAS, the Mayor and Council are cognizant that during emergencies or after a snowfall, it is important that the Town Manager and Chief of Police have the authority to close portions of streets or to regulate the parking so that plowing can be done easily and efficiently for the safety of the Town.
NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT ORDAINED by the Council of the Town of Landover Hills, in regular session assembled, that the Code of the Town of Landover Hills is hereby amended by adding Subsections (C) and (D) to Section 9802 as follows:
Section 9802- Street Parking Regulations
Whenever in the discretion of the Town Manager or the Chief of Police an emergency shall exist, or construction or repair work shall require, or other conditions affecting traffic shall necessitate, the Town Manager or the Chief of Police is hereby authorized and empowered to temporarily close any street or any part thereof within the corporate limits of the Town and to temporarily forbid or regulate parking in the affected area.
Whenever snow has accumulated in the streets of the Town to a depth of one (1) inch or more, the following procedures apply to all vehicles parked or left to stand on the streets of the Town:
1. On one-way streets or on streets with a median separating the travel lanes, vehicles must be at the right curb facing in the direction of travel in that lane.
2. On all streets other than those listed in sub-section one (1), vehicles must be parked on the odd numbered side of the street.
3. Vehicles shall otherwise be parked or left as directed by the police or public works personnel.
4. Trailers, including boat-and-trailers and travel trailers, must not be on any street unless the owner/lessor of the trailer is a resident of the Town and can demonstrate that the owner/lessor has no off-street parking on the property in which the owner/lessee resides.
5. The provisions of this sub-section 9802 (D) shall be effective without notification amd shall remain in effect until the street is plowed; provided however that when snow shall accumulate to a depth of one (1) inch or more after 11 p.m. the provisions of the sub-title 9802 (D) shall not be effective until 7:00 a.m. on the day following and shall remain in effect until the street is plowed.
BE IT FUTHER ORDAINED, that this Ordinance is an emergency Ordinance and shall take effect immediately upon the date of passage.
INTRODUCED by the Council of the Town of Landover Hills, Maryland, at a regular meeting on December 18, 2000.
ADOPTED by the Council of the Town of Landover Hills, Maryland, at a regular meeting on December 18, 2000.